Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Melinda Smith #3 DIY after Angela Gardner #1 Three Fragments


DIY


Trust is getting more expensive. I know
how those people in the Weimar newsreels felt
(except that I don’t) but I kid myself I can empathise –

How barrows-ful of cash were required, and yet
insufficient
Never bring a screwdriver to a drill fight, you will only
go down, under-spun, orphaned by light
Every moment so irrevocable, a nail in a nail-gun, and yet

we live our whole lives pretending otherwise,
extenuating

At the going down of the sun, the cashbox must be reconciled    the greasy coins
laid out    we are short      there are dozens of zinc-ed
lips insisting, they will not be silenced, and so I

heave myself into the promotional wheelbarrow, naked but for cheesecloth
artistically arranged   I am moon-like and perfectly bruised, but with
no means of locomotion – perhaps I am hoping to be
grabbed like a dangling handbag, possessed as recompense

for all the uncalled debts, the collapse of
Rome, everything taken and sullied – OK perhaps as the first instalment
only, just enough to cover one tree, one creek, one family
man-handled


(the above is an acrostic on Angela’s last line ‘the hinge we all hang from’)

No comments:

Post a Comment