Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Ali Jane Smith – Next time




I'm offering apology credit
do bad things and don't say sorry yet.
Later you can say, I'm sorry for … whatever
because we will have forgotten by then
once we've walked down the hill
comparing brass notes
and seen that kookaburra.
We used to feed them the fatty ends of lamb chops
when they were not so wildly expensive.
They'd bang the chop end against the verandah rail.

What I'm thinking of is going to look at Blue Poles
or sitting in that armchair on the bookshop's second floor
I'm thinking of eating eggs and drinking coffee. I don't ever
want to sit in a waiting room
listening to breakfast tv audio
ever ever again but some things are not a choice, like I said.
It's probably a dehumidifier, how come I hadn't thought of that.
There won't be a break for a while, but it's nice to think about.
A kookaburra can fly up to a branch and look for food
or, if the belly's full and the babies' fed, mooch.

Did you know you really can see the water from here?

2 comments:

  1. slightly uncanny I was drafting a poem with kookaburras just before I read this ... because they're everywhere I guess

    ?

    but maybe this ought to be a new category of poem for the conversation? - the serendipitous -- the theme we just happen to be writing at the same time

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let the 'conversation in poetry mind meld' poems commence!

    ReplyDelete