Thursday, January 4, 2018

Judith Beveridge #1 'Breath'



Breath

  
                        I’ve done my thirty minutes around the oval,
                        my legs and heart carrying me up the three hills

                        as best they can, though one pounds and the other
                        two ache, and my left hip as usual calls for its

                        recuperation on the soft brown sofa which is
                        where I am now listening to the wheezing

                        from my lungs, the walk triggering a constriction
                        of breath, so that sitting here, I’m struggling

                        with a heaviness in my chest and a coughing
                        that opens or releases nothing, not even phlegm,

                        only a renewed sense of the body’s moody requiem.
                        My lungs that once seemed strong as leather,

                        now as poor and crepitant as a paper bag
                        filling with the hyperventilated breath of someone

                        trying to alleviate their heart rate and their panic.
                        My wheezing will cease soon, either of its

                        own accord, or from the vapours of a puffer
                        that will restore the reservoir of good air I need 

                        for easeful breathing—up until that time
 when some infection will turn each inhalation

                        and exhalation into static distortion: my breath
                        sounding like the crackling of drinking straws

                        sucking up dregs, or like the sounds of children
                        roughly tearing layers of foil-wrapping

                        from their birthday presents. Or until tomorrow
                        when exercise and allergens cause heaviness

                        and coughing again in my heart-flanking organs,
                        the squinching of breath that only a puffer’s

                        dose of ventilating mist, or the proxy pulse

                        of passing time will return to a legato progression

1 comment: