Monday, January 22, 2018

Nathan Curnow #1 Versing

Versing


Kids invented it.
They’re ‘versing’ each other.
They ‘versed’ some team last week.
It sounds like theyre involved in poetry.
I’ve been versing, myself, for years.
The little bastards have bastardised
another word in the English language.
We have no way of undoing it now.
I blame parents and the entire school system.
Sometimes I’m invited to teach a class
and I start with every kid is a poet.’
But they throw bananas at the ceiling fan
or count down until the lunch bell goes.
They take advantage of our tolerance
and freedom of speech in the schoolyard
the ultimate playground for vernacular,
where words go viral without the internet.
Perhaps I expect them to pay their dues
or come to me for help with their project.
Once I helped a kid who said ‘all music is music’
and ‘magicians are magic’, which is rubbish.
I say I invented the word ‘shimmerfinny’.
It was published in a book no one read.
So I’m submitting this to the school newsletter,
calling them bastards to prove I’m a bastard.

No comments:

Post a Comment